NION & ANSWER

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Oct 22 10:25:14 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> -The two coalitions endorsed each other's demonstrations, though: -<http://www.notinourname.net/events.html>; -<http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/o26/endorsers.html>. -Why bother to divide what's united? Dividing what's united sounds -like a definition of sectarianism.

They are united only if you think rallies are the be-all and end-all of important activism. In the name of maximum turnout for this key month, they cross-endorsed-- something even I with my extreme dislike of the WWP think was the right thing-- but in the longterm, there are serious and real differences in what IAC/WWP/ANSWER will promote beyond the immediate crisis versus what an effective left will need to promote to avoid just lurching from crisis to crisis. There is nothing positive in the WWP et al vision of the world and the left's role in it; it is merely a series of defenses of the scum of the earth in the name of "my enemies enemy is my friend." I'll march for a day because the numbers will be high enough to drown out the narrowness and obscenity of their core politics, but I'll not lend my name or body to anything else they do for one second beyond that.

-- Nathan Newman