NION & ANSWER

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 22 14:25:10 PDT 2002

At 1:25 PM -0400 10/22/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>-The two coalitions endorsed each other's demonstrations, though:
>-<http://www.notinourname.net/events.html>;
>-<http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/o26/endorsers.html>.
>-Why bother to divide what's united? Dividing what's united sounds
>-like a definition of sectarianism.
>
>They are united only if you think rallies are the be-all and end-all of
>important activism.

I don't think that "rallies are the be-all and end-all," but coalitions like NION and ANSWER are basically coalitions to coordinate big anti-war demos, for which those with a wide variety of political persuasions can come out. Hence participation in them does not demand anything more than your going out to the demos that they organize.

At 1:25 PM -0400 10/22/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>In the name of maximum turnout for this key month, they
>cross-endorsed-- something even I with my extreme dislike of the WWP think
>was the right thing

In this regard, anti-war activists today are doing better than at the time of the Gulf War, when two coalitions organized two different demos on successive weekends in D.C., split over whether to condemn Iraq for its invasion of Kuwait and whether to advocate the extension of the economic sanctions against Iraq as an alternative to the war.