Hitchens in the Post

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 22 10:44:59 PDT 2002

mike larkin wrote:

> If the RCP is behind NOIN, then I'm joining right now.
> Anybody got a membership application?
>
> F**ck all this discussion in Salon and elsewhere about
> the dilemnas of working with the ultras. The RCP'ers
> are doing great work, and I'm happy to be associated
> with them.

Aaah. It's nice to have some simple good sense around. There will _always_ be ultras (and ultra-ultras) around, and there will _always_ be those who bellyache about ultras, and there is no real purpose in knocking one's head against either. The ultras have one advantage over the anti-ultras: the ultras (as you notice) are out there doing the work, while the antis are busy complaining that the shit used to be blacker and richer. I've never been particularly fond of the various sects (even the couple that I belonged to), and I had a really bad taste in my mouth re the SWP in the '60s, but without them, at least in the '60s and in the present, there wouldn't be any mass movement to bellyache about or any mass rallies to either praise or blame.

Carrol