Strip Clubs

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Tue Oct 22 10:55:30 PDT 2002

All:

How are strippers and table dancers compensated? Does a dancer have to turn over a percentage of her tips to the house? I suppose she would, but how much in general? Is there any such thing as a collective strip club, i.e., one owned by the dancers and strippers?

I've been to two strip clubs as part of bachelor parties. I didn't find them much fun, and I'm pretty sure everybody else shared my opinion. One was at a particularly upscale place where the bachelor's best man had rented a "private room"--actually a box in a balcony overlooking the stage. The table dancers, who were also strippers, would sidle into the room at a rate of about 2 every five minutes, and ask if anyone wanted a dance. Everyone bought at least one dance, not because of the delights promised but because it seemed rude not to. $25 was the going rate. No touching of course, but murmurred appreciations of beauty (and they were all lovely) were graciously accepted. They were all friendly and charming in a disarmingly distant way; I felt each of them had better manners than I could ever hope to have. And I think we were all embarassed when the best man let slip what really excited him about the party: "Hey! Drink up, guys! We got free booze with the room!"

Just some data points, -- Curtiss