the anti sex left

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 22 16:51:18 PDT 2002

>I'd also like to see a corresponding gesture on
your part: please name three leftists who want to make sexual positions a foundation for a political ontology.

That's fair, though I can't cite chapter and verse any more, since I don't keep up with the stuff. It also depends on what you mean by sexual positions, and I'd readily concede that these folks do elaborate complex and, in theory, non-foundational political ontology. Those gestures, while interesting, don't always work out--in practice, it generally comes down to how ones political choices inform one's theory, not the other way round. And, for my money, it's always a question of how well you do political economy without letting sexuation get out of sight.

But, from memory, Michael Warner, Douglas Crimp (whose work on AIDS I really love, btw), and, I can't think of a third, though assorted Lacanian pop culture divas are swimming around in memory--naked, natch.

Christian