Powerful Attack Cripples Net's Core

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed Oct 23 20:51:40 PDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 at 4:47pm Kelley wrote:

> At 02:33 PM 10/23/02 -0400, Chris Beggy wrote:
> >Kelley <jimmyjames at softhome.net> writes:
> >
> > > heh. You can tell the world's coming to end by the mass hysteria on NANOG!
> >
> >Right ;-) and NANOG chatter confirms noOnan's

the interesting thing about the nanog chatter is that the people active on nanog that actually have something to do with running root servers (i.e. transit providers for or operators of .'s ) have said it was no big deal, *but* have also not answered questions about sources and routing.

> It's No Onan for a reason! And not just coz he's against
> waxing the carrot, either.

damn right. (but the handle still sends a good pro-catholic msg)

nihil obstat!

> Really! I did not know this! I thought all those snarly
> posts complaining about shite reporting and assessment
> of the BBC article as one of the better ones was R E A L
> L Y subterfuge for their chicken little fear that the
> world was coming to an end. We-ellllll I'll be.

but as sean donelan (i think) said: att melts down half of their national network it is not news; ATTACK ON HEART OF INTERNET: BIG NEWS.

i don't think anybody failed to resolv a domain during the attack, but when att melted their core from CHI east a few weeks back, my east coast office was hosed for most of the day. and nothing *i* could do about it. if the roots fell off the planet tomorrow morning, by the time i finished my first cup of coffee, i could make my own servers authoratative for . and my users would never know. i knowwhich 'disaster' i'd rather deal with...

i am still fascinated that capitalists can make investment decisions in technology based on what they read about tech in wsj, nyt, etc.

oops! i forgot! the bubble burst, didn't it?

sheeeiit!

-- no Onan