sex and the left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 24 09:54:15 PDT 2002

At 10:17 AM -0700 10/23/02, joanna bujes wrote:
>>Isn't it a fantasy that sex work is inherently different from and
>>worse (or better) than any other form of wage labor?
>
>The honest answer is "I don't know." I cannot really say that I am
>sufficiently free of social conditioning about sex to say that it is
>or it isn't....Right now, it seems that there are very few
>connections left between people: friendship, familial connections,
>and sexual connections (including or not including love). I have a
>problem with prostitution because though it takes the form of a
>sexual connection, it is not a sexual connection. In my mind sex
>involves two free people. Call me crazy. I have the same problem
>with alienated wage labor, but we weren't talking about wage labor.
>The thread originated with an assertion that the left was anti-sex,
>and it devolved into the more precise assertion that I was one of
>these left pc prudes because I would not agree that porn and
>prostitution were liberating.

We should be looking at the question of sex industries as a labor and gender question, not as a matter of whether anyone here is "pro-sex" or "anti-sex."

Those who purchase goods and services offered by sex industries can't hope to gain sexual connections, though some may (like high-class call girls and rent boys) offer semblances of them, just as there are no lasting connections between workers and customers in any other market, though some (like mom & pop stores) may offer semblances of them. Sex workers can make connections among themselves, though, just as workers in general can make connections among themselves. -- Yoshie