Clarifications

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Oct 24 14:08:19 PDT 2002

2. CISPES: . . .

I'm not up on the entire Perrin corpus of criticism, so this may not contradict anything he has said, but I was in CISPES at U-Md/College Park. There was nary a leninist in sight, and even then I was an old enough dog to be able to spot diverse ideological species.

You could hardly find a real M-L on campus in those days. Traditional opening day when I was in college featured a line of tables -- SDS, SANE, Young Democrats, RDS (i.e. SDS-not), etc. In the 80s at U-Md there was the Campus Crusade for Christ, the Lutherans, etc. The big radical thang was a vegetarian food coop. But there was also CISPES.

mbs