Iraqi prisoners

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 24 16:39:28 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>So if Saddam didn't release the prisoners, and thus produced "one of the
>biggest human rights victories worldwide in recent years," who did? Amnesty
>International? Marxmail?

Saddam Hussein released the prisoners, of course. But he did so not out of the goodness of his heart, but in order to broaden support for his regime in face of the pending attack from the imperialist power whose flag you wrap yourself in.

In any case, here are statements from the Iraqi Communist Party, which includes the comment that "It must be said that the regime had to make this declaration under the pressure exerted by Iraqi people and the repeated international campaigns against the atrocious rule of terror in Iraq." Just the same thing that was said on Marxmail and that you objected to.

In other words, this party which lost thousands of members from Saddam's terror states that the release of the prisoners has nothing to do with his good graces. Everybody else seems to understand this, except you. Why you keep making an amalgam between Saddam Hussein and the release of political prisoners despite all evidence to the contrary speaks volumes about you. For somebody who has traveled so far to the right as yourself, it is inevitable to begin thinking in terms of the power of Great Men. Hitchens now fawns on George W. Bush and you now stand in awe of Saddam Hussein, when the real power resides in the Iraqi people.

IRAQ NEWS

A News Bulletin issued by the Iraqi Communist Party

Date: 16-10-2002 Our Iraqi People Reject Occupation and Foreign Military Rule The following radio comment was transmitted by "Iraqi People's Voice", the radio station of the Iraqi Communist Party:

"While the attention of our Iraqi people was focussed on the issue of bringing about change, as they looked forward to waging the battle of salvation from the dictatorial regime and establishing the new, democratic and federal Iraq, information was published in the Western press about a plan by the US administration to occupy Iraq, after invading it and getting rid of Saddam Hussein, and install a military government there under American command. These reports have aroused angry reactions among the people and their patriotic and democratic opposition parties and forces.

"... The New York Times reported last Friday that this plan includes a transitional period in Iraq, which may last several years, before installing an elected civilian government. This means that the above-mentioned military rule, led by an American general, will remain in power for at least several years. Only then would Iraqis be allowed to elect their parliament and choose their government!

"The paper quoted senior American officials as saying that the plan had received official approval in Washington. They also considered that American military rule is necessary to avert chaos and confrontation between opposition groups.

"It also quoted them as openly saying that the plan for occupying Iraq will limit the role of Iraqi opposition; i.e. those which co-ordinate with the US. It added that these forces may still have a role in the form of a consultative council, helping the US-led armed forces, until a civilian administration is set up after a period of time which could last, as mentioned earlier, several years!

"American officials and spokesmen have tried afterwards to lessen the impact of this revelation on the public opinion. The White House spokesman Ari Fleischer has claimed, for example, that this plan cannot be seen as an occupation of Iraq! Although he added that the US will not go to Iraq just to leave immediately afterwards!

"It is well-known that leaking undeclared official plans, and repeatedly talking about them through the media, aim at getting the people used to hearing their contents and objectives, psychologically preparing them to accept these plans. On the other hand, and at the same time, the aim is also to find out the reaction, and to what extent these plans are accepted or rejected, so as to amend, moderate or adapt them in order to facilitate their endorsement and implementation.

"In any case, the reports about the US plan have aroused deep concern and strong resentment among our Iraqi people and all patriotic and democratic parties. The declared intention to get rid of Saddam Hussein and his hated regime does not give any one the right to occupy the country and impose military rule on the people!

"Furthermore, what did happen to the promises that Saddam's dictatorial rule would only be replaced with a democratic regime? Or was the real name of "Iraq Liberation Act" in fact "Iraq Occupation Act"?

"Our people were, and still are, looking forward to international support and backing, in order to help them to get rid of the bloody and despotic regime. But they don't want a "support" such as this, which prolongs their oppression, perpetuate the denial of their rights and freedoms, and subjugate them to foreign will and interests which contradict their legitimate interests and aspirations!

"All this, however, will not weaken the resolve of our people, and will not undermine their fighting spirit, as they combat the dictatorial regime, resist its repression and terror, and challenge it defiantly by all possible means.

"They will continue this struggle relentlessly, and look forward to genuine, sincere and effective international support, to enable them to move forward, finishing off this dictatorial regime, and establishing a free and pluralistic democratic regime, in a unified federal Iraq."

IRAQ NEWS

A News Bulletin issued by the Iraqi Communist Party

Information Bureau Abroad

Following the declaration of amnesty in Baghdad, the" Voice of Iraqi People " broadcasting station of the Iraqi Communist Party from Iraqi Kurdistan made the comment below:

International Human Rights monitors must verify the release of all political prisoners and detainees In Iraq

On October 20th Saddam Hussein' Revolution Command Council declared a so-called amnesty for prisoners. His minister of information tried, in a special press conference, on this occasion, to please the people by claiming that the amnesty was Saddam's benevolent response to their " unanimous poll for him" in last week plebiscite, which the world has scorned as a farce.

As a matter of fact, however, the dictator Saddam himself had presented his decision as a generous merciful pardon for people in his awful prisons, where innocent political prisoners, who have not been among the thousands executed by special squads so far, but have suffered years of harsh torture and inhuman conditions.

The regime has declared its amnesty after having denied for many years that there are political prisoner in Iraq. These lies have been repeated in official replies to international Human Rights bodies, including the UN Special Human Rights Rapporteur for Iraq in reply to many documented inquiries about flagrant human rights violation in Iraq

After all, our people are too familiar with the deceit and manipulations practiced by the regime, especially in several such so-called amnesty declarations. Thus nobody would believe this one until the thousands of political prisoners and detainees have returned to their tormented families.

It must be said that the regime had to make this declaration under the pressure exerted by Iraqi people and the repeated international campaigns against the atrocious rule of terror in Iraq. This pressure has intensified recently in the worldwide solidarity with our people against the planned US war on Iraq.

To avoid deceit of the previous amnesties, the present one has to be coupled with the abrogation of all the laws under which the political prisoners were indicted and the special sham courts before which they were brought. Furthermore, it should be coupled with official disclosure of the fate of thousands of disappeared persons at the hand of the terror organs.

Our people demand the annulment of all terror laws and decisions counter to human rights and freedoms, as well as dismantling all special military and civil terror organs and militias

The Iraqi people calls also for the organization of free democratic elections under international supervision and monitoring and that should be released beforehand the freedom of opinion, association and organisation for our people and its political parties and forces. All guarantees should be provided, including direct international supervision, to the citizens and political parties that participate in the elections.

At the same time, our people look forward to the international community for firm support to his struggle for his suppressed rights and democracy. He expects that the UN Security Council takes immediate practical steps to impose and implement the resolution 688 and to apply the recommendations of the General Assembly and its Rapporteur for Human Rights in Iraq concerning the dispatch of Human Rights observers to Iraq.

We call for the verification of the execution of this amnesty decision and of the promises of the Iraqi rulers.

As it prepares to engage in a new phase of his struggle against the dictatorial regime and its terror, for a democratic federal Iraq and the rule of law, our people look forward to solidarity and support from world and Arab democratic and progressive forces.

But above all, it looks for all Iraqi patriotic opposition and calls on them to unite its ranks and its forces in the struggle against dictatorship for the democratic federal alternative, on the basis of an independent national democratic platform inspired first and foremost by the interests of our people and which aims at sparing our people and our country the risks of war and its ensuing catastrophes.

--

Louis Proyect www.marxmail.org