enemies

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 25 07:20:12 PDT 2002

> steve philion wrote:
>

> --damn, and I thought *I* was enemy # 1.........

Who was Lou responding to in this post? Lou & Doug share the unfortunate habit of fleeing from a list rather than simply deleting (or filtering to trash or isolated folders) posters who merely attack other posters. They can't seem to stand the thought that someone on the same list is being unfair to them. That (a) deprives several lists of the positive contributions of one or the other and (b) in the case of Lou's own list reduces it to mere mutual back-scratching or wars between merely secondary obsessions.

(With apologies to myself, Doyle, and Marta, but sometimes there is no way of defining a human activity except through metaphors invoking various special physical and/or mental features.) There is a certain obsessive/compulsive quality to the list behavior of those who simply cannot leave a topic or a given poster alone. Doug & Lou are obsessive/compulsive in respect to each other, and that quality tends to disable both politically.

Both need to learn how to respond to views they condemn without stooping to analyze the person who holds those views. Both are self-destructive (politically) in their obsessions with characterizing (the holders of) various political positions.

I gather from quotations by you and others that Dennis P is obsessive/compulsive in regard to Yoshie & me. Sad.

Carrol