SF Protest

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sun Oct 27 14:53:30 PST 2002

At 05:42 PM 10/27/2002 -0500, Yoshie quoted:
>Tens of thousands of people marched in peaceful protest of any
>military strike against Iraq yesterday afternoon, in an antiwar
>demonstration that organizers and police suggested was likely
>Washington's largest since the Vietnam era.

Yes, the diversity was wonderful. This was the first time that I attended an anti-war rally where there were actually a fair sprinkling of African Americans and this was good to see. Also included was every age group and, clearly, a variety of people of differing backgrounds that I don't usually see at demonstrations.

The 40,000 number reported by the press is laughable; there were easily twice that many people. One way the press could justify its figures is that at the civic center (the final destination of the march), there may not have been more than 40,000 at any one time; however, the reason for this is that a lot of people marched the length of Market to the civic center and, once they got there, did not hang around for the speeches. But people were marching from 11:00 to well after 2:00 -- three hours of wave after wave after wave of marchers.

It was a great day.

Joanna