Lieberman: the hell with the UN

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 28 07:56:00 PST 2002

New York Post - October 28, 2002

LIEBERMAN: WE DON'T NEED U.N. By VINCENT MORRIS

WASHINGTON - A leading Democrat yesterday urged President Bush to get tough with the United Nations, saying that the United States should go it alone on Iraq if France and other countries drag their feet.

Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) said it was "really very disappointing" that the United Nations has taken six weeks to debate a resolution on using force against Saddam Hussein.

"I think that the administration now ought to get a resolution passed quickly," Lieberman said on "Fox News Sunday."

"I always felt that they ought to have both stages in one resolution, inspections and then enforcement. But frankly, the important thing now is to get a resolution passed."

If the United Nations refuses to grant unrestricted weapons inspections in Iraq, then the United States should simply walk away, said Lieberman.

"Give the United Nations a first chance to respond. If it doesn't, then we'll build our own international coalition to force Saddam out," added Lieberman.

Al Gore's running mate in 2000 and a potential 2004 candidate, Lieberman has consistently taken a tough line with Iraq.

His criticism of Bush yesterday put Lieberman into a small group of lawmakers willing to see the United States ignore the United Nations completely