Steve P vs. Chris H

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Oct 29 14:23:00 PST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Listmember Steve Philion is the caller who goes up against Gen.
> Hitchens on Talk of the Nation
> <http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/totn/20021024.totn.03.ram>, starting at
> 35:57.

Wow. I'm really trying to give Hitchens a break, but he came across as a shit. Smearing the Left as Stalinist hacks, fulminating about one-party-states, and that Brit savagery -- calling Philion idiotic at one point, then trying to blunt the insult in a way calculated to pour salt in the wound -- I have this bad feeling Hitchens is on some kind of really self-destructive run, where he's burning bridges in a compulsive sort of way. Don't know whether it's alcohol, mid-life crisis, or what, but my pop psych read is that the guy is in the grip of some kind of personal demon.

-- Dennis