the anti sex left

Anthony Kennerson maroondog244 at lycos.com
Tue Oct 29 17:09:23 PST 2002

Time to clear the air and explain myself....for hopefully the last time: --

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:56:05

Kelley wrote:
>At 12:11 PM 10/23/02 -0400, Christian Gregory wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:36:03 -0400 Kelley <jimmyjames at softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>> > ok. so who on this list is actually arguing for
>>sexual positions as political ontology. because that was, after all, your
>>claim: _This_ discussion is about orifice fashion: I'm for
>>rimming and proud of it! Let's build a political ontology!
>>
>>Well, Anthony, for one.
>
>That is very strange because I don't recall him saying anything about this.

You don't even have to recall, Kelley; I said NO SUCH THING. I know nothing about "ortifice fashion" or about building a "political ontology". My point was only that some leftists could use some openmindedness and education on the subject of sex and sexuality; and that taking more seriously the progress of sex-positive radical thought could reinvigorate that education.

>>My point is that "sex positive" or "erotophobic" are
>>so undialectical as terms as to make them useless.
>
>Are you elaborating on a point you made? Or, is what follows an elaboration
>of the sentence above? Or is that sentence just supposed to stand alone,
>convincing me?
>
>>Anthony said in response to
>>Yoshie that the body isn't a "site of regimentation but of pleasure and
>>desire" (or something like that)--that's a perfect example. So what does that
>>mean? That if the body is a site of pleasure it isn't also a site of
>>regimentation? Or, more likely, as is the fashion, that it _exceeds_
>>regimentation?
>
>I didn't read Y oshie. If it has her name in it, it goes in the trash.
>Hence, I didn't read Anthony's response. Now I've just searched the
>archives, but my patience waned. I cannot find anything in there about
>regimentation. if you could just give me the date/time/thread title of
>anthony's reply, I'll look it up.
>
>Even so, I don't get the impression that he's into all this literary
>theorizing. Maybe Anthony doesn't know what it means to say that the body
>is a site of regimentation. Dunno. I'm not insulting him, no, b/c there are
>plenty of over edjamacated folks on this list that wouldn't know what the
>fuck it meant.
>
>I would also suggest that even if A did mean to say that and did know what
>it meant, that maintaining that the body is a site of pleasure exclusive of
>regimentation does not mean he wants to build a political ontology on
>rimming or sexual positions or whatever. No, he'd be about as naive as
>Joanna if that were the case, but it doesn't follow that anything he's
>typed has suggested that he wants to build a political ontology on sexual
>positions, specifically rimming.
>
>Nor do I think he's merely using this as an opportunity to crow about how
>advanced he is sexually.

Actually, I'm absolutely THE LAST person who whould even presume any advanced thought on sexuality; I tend to mooch off others in that regard. :-) I'm afraid that the 9 years of college education I received at Southern University and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette didn't include lectures in "regimentation" or "political ontology". (I do in fact know what "regimentation" means, however.) Oh, and that quote was NOT mine, that was someone else who misquoted me as if I had said that.

>>That maybe true "ontologically," but it's a crappy political argument because
>>it reifies "pleasure" or whatever (orifice, desire, subreption, take your pick
>>of the hot, counter-regulatory fantasy- terms) as the ground of
>>counter-political identity (even while appearing not articulate a ground of
>>anything).
>
>Rubbish. No one here is demanding that sexuality/pleasure/whatever become
>THE ground of anything.

And neither do I. If you happened to have missed my initial post here, I explicitly state that I do not believe that sexual freedom or sex-positivity should in any way override the more traditional progressive concerns; I only state that it could add significantly to the present debate.

>>So you get to have it both ways. But to call someone erotophobic
>>b/c they aren't crazy about NAMBLA or b/c they look at the way that sexual
>>fantasy is itself produced by class identities, etc. (i.e. there is no fully
>>conscious sexual "choice")
>

>is this what he did in this para: I am not saying that their main professed
>concerns about nonconsensual sexual acts and everyday boorishness about sex
>are not legitimate and worthy of action. (Indeed, as a working sex radical
>and a progressive, I share the very same concerns as they do about rape,
>abuse of children, coerced prostitution, and unwanted pregnancy,
>particularly among adolescents.) Where I part company with the erotophobic
>Left (and their allies on the Right and Center), however, is in their
>conclusions that suppression and censorship of consensual erotic expression
>and behavior is the ideal solution. I also take great exception with their
>viewpoint that the erotic medium is inherently oppressive to humankind
>(especially to women), and that all men who view the erotic medium are
>automatically predisposed to acts of violence and/or beliefs of
>subordination toward others.
>
>Or the following paragraph where he argues that sex positive 'theories'
>could be advanced and strengthened by sound left analyses? I read something
>like that call for more left analysis of sex/uality and figure he's talking
>about political economy, class analysis. and stuff like that.

BINGO!!!! That was exactly the point that I was making....nothing more or less. And how in the hell did NAMBLA get into this debate; I specifically quoted sexual relations among CONSENTING ADULTS.

>>is impossibly vague. According to Freud, eating
>>fruit is sexual--does that make me an erotophobe for wanting to stop
>>production of GM bananas?
>
>The bogeys that you see! They are everywhere Christian. We must bust them!
>

>I'm no more fond of those who spend their time suggesting that
>transgression is where it's at than you are. I bitched at Annalee and
>others for this for years at Bad Subjects. But, I think you're reading an
>incredible amount into this conversation that simply isn't there. You gotta
>problem with people who say the above, then have at them, but no one here
>has said any of the above to you.
>
>You sounded reasonable in your first response to this thread but then
>started seeing as many bogeys as Anthony sees here. You're both talking to
>people who really aren't here on this list.
>
>Kelley
>
>Who Ya Gonna Call? BogeyBusters!

I don't think that I see that many bogeys here, Kelley; but considering the response that my post has received here, my point has been proven. There are some sections of the Left (however it may exist) who have adapted a very restrictive, narrow, and quite negative viewpoint of the diversity and popularity of consensual sexual behavior. All that I believe is that people's choices should be more accepted, and that more openmindedness on sexuality be given to the average person.

Now, Doug.....you may have your list back, I'm through.

:-)

Anthony (Relax, Folks....It's Only Sex!!!)

__________________________________________________________ Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access, Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS. http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus