SE: Florida Poised to Disenfranchise Thousands -- Again

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Oct 31 14:14:45 PST 2002

Chris Kromm (Palast article):
>Here's how it happened. Take two counties: Gadsden, Florida's most heavily
>African-American county (57% minority population) and white-majority Leon
>County (which includes the capital, Tallahassee). Both counties used paper
>ballots; both were read by machines. But in the black county one in eight
>votes was "spoiled" -- voided and never read; while in next-door Leon,
>almost no ballot went uncounted (a spoilage rate of only one in
>two-hundred).

It's poignant and infuriating to know that Gadsden County was the location of intense voting rights organizing in the early 60s. It was the site of what I believe was the most successful voter registration project in Florida, a CORE project led by Patricia Stephens Due. (She and her sister, both from Quincy, conducted the first jail-in--refusing to be bonded out--in Tallahassee.) Btw, Due is in Miami now, Chris, it might be worth asking her to reflect on this for SE.

Jeb Bush should be under indictment, not running for reelection.

Jenny Brown