The Social Movement Left OUT

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 1 19:14:05 PDT 2002

Just a footnote. Why "neoliberal capitalism" rather than "capitalism"? The relations which you trace in this post first appeared in Elizabethan England in the form of the "Poor Laws." Some form of such "social welfare" is inherent in capitalism as such, regardless of what sort of qualfiers may be attached to it. The insertion of "neoliberal" here I think blurs the argument.

I do think it very important to emphasize the "dependence" we all have on each other -- hence, for example, the long quarrel Yoshie & I had with several posters who thought "dependence" was inherently "bad."

Carrol