The Social Movement Left OUT

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Sep 1 21:09:09 PDT 2002

My beef: The authors don't go far enough to assert that unemployment is a part of capitalism. They don't challenge who owns the means of production and that owners dictate who are employed and not employed. They aren't radical economists, they are social policy wonks. Some good ideas but restricted to a liberal approach and keeping their tenure at their universities I( would think) knowing these churn out papers every where for every symposium on disability possible.

I don't believe that the main problem is prejudice as the ADA lays it out to be or misguided state policy. I think that disabled people have been shoved out of the work force intentionally and that the moral justification has been to give them poverty based benefits. This may be too brief an explanation but I have a paper published if you are interested in the longer theorizing.

And I do agree with your take on "dependence" being cast as a negative. This only seems to apply to people who are poor and dependent however. Homeowners are not seen to be dependent upon government for their mortgage tax write offs but indeed they are to give but one example. marta