Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Kendall Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Sun Sep 1 23:39:09 PDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 12:34:52AM -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Lexington
> Behold the Rapture
> Millenarianism is becoming a force on the right in American politics

For what it's worth, Ashcroft's denominational brand of American millenarianism, the Assemblies of God, has been peddling the 'rapture' since the early days of last century (founded in 1917, if I recall correctly), and it is one of the more or less 'required' doctrinal tenets of the religion. Quoting from the Assemblies of God "16 Fundamental Truths":

The second coming of Christ includes the rapture of the saints,

which is our blessed hope, followed by the visible return of Christ

with His saints to reign on earth for one thousand years.

This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel,

and the establishment of universal peace.

The denomination boosts at least 1,000,000 members in the US (the super majority of whom -- I'd guess upwards of 90% -- are white; it's extremely segregated), several times that worldwide, and is one of the norte americano engines that's driven the "pentecostalization" of Latin America.

I find it extremely discomforting, to say the least, that the Attorney General slot is filled by a person who gives every indication of being a very pious, devout member of such a denomination.

Best, Kendall Clark