war and the state

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Sep 3 07:29:18 PDT 2002

Dddddd0814 at aol.com:
> Yet, if one advances the supreme premise of idealism-- that "behavior" leads
> to history-- then, the historical figures in question *are* to blame.

Behavior _is_ history, in the sense of being the raw material of which it is constituted (if we're talking about the things people actually do, anyway). There's nothing idealistic about that. You may want to argue that the notion that ideas result in behavior is idealistic, but that requires a kind of duality I don't subscribe to and in fact find difficult to follow, the Cartesian mind-body stuff. Too idealistic for me.

> An idealist premise of history-- rather than materialist one-- necessitates
> all "ideas" as subjective products of individuals, independent from the
> objective forces that motivate them. (i.e. the bourgeois claptrap about the
> "power of ideas.") Thus in this context "ideas" are no different from
> "morals", the "worst" of which both are abstractly imposed from above and
> without by eccentric egotists.

I didn't say anything about the production of Lenin's and Trotsky's ideas, and I don't see what the particulars of their production has to do with anything. It seems as irrelevant as their morals. As for the rest, anyone who has ever tried to fix a broken automobile engine knows that some ideas are more materially useful than others.

-- Gordon