war and the state

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 22:23:58 PDT 2002

"To _blame_ Lenin and Trotsky would be to moralize; but I think Lenin's and Trotsky's morals would be of little practical concern to anyone. However, what I did was examine some of their ideas, ask whether the ideas seemed to result in behavior, and if so, what the behavior led to in history -- in the material and social conditions of the people who were affected by them."

Yet, if one advances the supreme premise of idealism-- that "behavior" leads to history-- then, the historical figures in question *are* to blame.

An idealist premise of history-- rather than materialist one-- necessitates all "ideas" as subjective products of individuals, independent from the objective forces that motivate them. (i.e. the bourgeois claptrap about the "power of ideas.") Thus in this context "ideas" are no different from "morals", the "worst" of which both are abstractly imposed from above and without by eccentric egotists.

Best, David