a critique of the march on Sandton

Tom Wheeler twbounds at pop.mail.rcn.net
Tue Sep 3 08:34:26 PDT 2002

From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>
> There weren't even any other demonstrators around when the black bloc went
> shopping in Seattle.
>
> I also have to ask if you have spent any time at a recent protest? Shame
> on you for suggesting that anarchists cause the polcie to be violent! The
> police don't need a pretext to be violent! Most of the police violence
> I've seen at protests was initiated by the cops. The police just don't
> like demosntrators of any kind and they are egged on by their superiors.

And let's remember that the cops in Seattle rioted and went on a violent rampage hours BEFORE the black bloc showed up and smashed a few windows.

The firing of rubber bullets, tear gas, and pepper spray at living human beings as well as the brutal physical assaults against people (most of whom were passively sitting down) are all violent acts. I would suggest that smashing an inanimate non-living object or tearing down a fence simply does not belong in the same category of violence perpetrated against people by the cops and their Darth Vader attired security forces. - Tom