black block

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 3 11:04:33 PDT 2002

joanna bujes wrote:

>As for the destruction in Genoa, it has been revealed in painstaking
>detail that this was the work of agent provocateurs and the police.

Which is an interesting point. Cops often use agents provocateurs who promote sabotage - or do the work themselves. They do this in part because they know it discredits movements among a larger public (which either doesn't exist or doesn't matter, I forget which, in CoxWorld). I'm not opposed to violence in principle, but I think it's heavily dependent on the political context. The 60s riots in the U.S. happened in a broader context of political mobilization. Breaking a few windows at Starbucks is ok by me, but burning down a convention center would help no one except the authorities.

Doug