black block

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Sep 3 14:27:31 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Which is an interesting point. Cops often use agents provocateurs who
> promote sabotage - or do the work themselves. They do this in part
> because they know it discredits movements among a larger public (which
> either doesn't exist or doesn't matter, I forget which, in CoxWorld).

This is a baseless argument commonly used by liberals and other wankers in the anti-glob movement to marginalize anyone who advocates tactics more militant that holding up a banner at some rally. This argument was trotted out frequently after Seattle and it always falls on its face. Sabotage and property destruction does not piss off the public. There was no hue and cry after Seattle by the public about the property destruction. We can still march down the street with nary a protest from the public.

Perhaps this is an example of how badly the left is out fo touch with working people. As we've seen in recent strikes by telecommunications workers, the amount of sabotage has far outpaced anything the black bloc has done on a nice afternoon. And labor strikes are routinely violent--Charleston 5 anyone?

What alienates the public is shit like 9-11.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)