black block

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 3 14:32:39 PDT 2002

Chuck Munson wrote:

>This is a baseless argument commonly used by liberals and other
>wankers in the anti-glob movement to marginalize anyone who
>advocates tactics more militant that holding up a banner at some
>rally. This argument was trotted out frequently after Seattle and it
>always falls on its face. Sabotage and property destruction does not
>piss off the public. There was no hue and cry after Seattle by the
>public about the property destruction. We can still march down the
>street with nary a protest from the public.

Chuck, I don't give a damn about breaking Starbucks windows and such. I wouldn't do it, but if someone else wants to, that's fine with me, and I don't think it seriously alienates anyone but Starbucks management and shareholders. I was referring to burning down convention centers, which you suggested would have been a fine tactic in Sandton. I doubt that would have made the movement a lot of friends.

Doug