New bookstore and infoshop in Washington

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Sep 3 17:03:16 PDT 2002

Michael Pollak wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Chuck Munson wrote:
>

>>BTW, if you are in Washington, DC and need a fix of radical literature,
>>come on down to the Brian MacKenzie Infoshop, which opens in October at
>>9th and P St. NW.
>

> I hate to be crass, Chuck, but aren't you missing a marketing opportunity?
> If you could leave a comrade at home in charge of the store, there'll be a
> lot of people in town the last weekend in September who'd probably very
> much like to visit your infoshop. Me, for example.

Well, the building we are in is being remodeled and we don't think that the construction will be done by the time of the September protests. I certainly would love to staff the store and talk to out of town folks if we could open it.

I think I may have described the project recently, but let me rehash.

We're opening an infoshop/bookstore in a new community center called the Arthur Fleming Center. This building will house quite a few organizations and projects, with there being plenty of space for meetings, concerts, gallery exhibits, and so on.

Here's a run down of who will be in the space:

* Emmaus Center for the Aging (principal tenant and umbrella organization) * Positive Force (famous punk organization) * Washington Interfaith Alliance * Peter Maurin Center (Catholic Worker) * Washington Peace Center * Independent Media Center - DC * Brian MacKenzie Infoshop * Books through Bars * Compression (art space run by Ian Mackaye of Fugazi fame)

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)