Elective Affinities

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 06:13:23 PDT 2002

Chris D asked:

>I mean, what kind of academic is involved with the ISO? That is deep, deep
>intellectual gutter slumming.

Although I do not have a high opinion of the ISO, I'll say that one of my best friends in philosophy, Phil Gasper, is a long time activist member, and both very sane and very smart. Also, before the split with the ISO, the Brit SWP had (and still has) at least one first rate scholar, the political theorist Alex Callinicos--I'll buy and read his stuff on spec, he's excellent--and several able ones (Chris Harman, among others). Speaking of wierd affiliations for academics, another close philosophical friend was in the RCP, though as far as I could tell it affected neither his politics nor his scholarship; I don't know if he still is. And one of most eminent philosophers of science in the country was, last time I heard, still in PL, which is really bizarre. Back in the old days, lots of them were. I had some strange affinities s myself--not PL. jks