the smartest fascist?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 5 07:15:57 PDT 2002

At 08:57 PM 9/4/2002 -0500, carrol wrote:

>Some or many of us might well end up dead or in a concentration camp --
>but that would not be evidence for the U.S. being fascist. It could
>easily just be an instance of the marvellous repressive power of
>capitalist democracy -- or it could be a quite new form of authoritarian
>state. This habit of using "fascism" as an all-purpose pejorative is
>worse than stupid -- it's dangerous. It will prevent our organizing
>about real authoritarian threats, not just ghosts from the inter-war
>period.

Carrol, I agree with most of what you said here, except the idea that using proper vocabulary prevents people form obtaining material results. It is like saying that if we do or do not prey properly god will reward or punish us by altering things in our material life.

We can call it fascism, democracy, or shit on a stick - but none of that changes the material reality of power relations.

wojtek