Powell in Africa

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Wed Sep 4 22:51:04 PDT 2002

Right before I pulled myself away from the screen to rush to work this afternoon I caught the report on Powell being heckled at the conference in Africa. Forget where I first saw the report but I got the impression that the serious heckling started after a stunned crowd heard him mention that a country in the region was guilty of not respecting human rights and the rule of law. I zoomed over to the Wash. Post and they had a stream that seemed to show the same thing. They weren't upset about Z. It was the rule of law stuff that pissed them off. Unfortunately I was trying to keep an eye on a last minute extreme move in the gold price at the same time and everything was in a dial-up garbled hell. I went to the NYTimes and a coupla other places where the sentence that seemed to get the crowd riled wasn't even mentioned. Tonight the Post story is different. There's no streaming video. And the stories are closely akin to the, everybody hates us cause we're good and rich and they're all crazy anyway, theory. Anyone know where I can view a video of the speech?>