AFA pissed at O'Reilly

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Sep 5 18:37:52 PDT 2002

>[ha ha ha]
>
><http://www.afa.net/activism/aa090502.asp>
>
>AFA Action Alert!
>
>O'Reilly flogs Christians as 'religious fanatics'
>
>Popular talk show host comes out in favor of homosexual rights
>
>American Family Association said today it was disappointed in popular
>talk show host Bill O'Reilly for his comments on September 3 labeling
>Bible-believing Christians "fanatics."

Maybe the Fox News Channel isn't as fair and balanced as advertised. Michael Kinsley's talking about Brit Hume here, but the same idea could apply to O'Reilly: http://slate.msn.com//?id=2067193 "The TV news anchor I find myself watching most is Brit Hume of Fox News. He brims with bias, and it's a bias I don't share. But his freedom to be biased is also freedom to be intelligent. You get the news as filtered through an interesting mind.

Fox News is a brilliant experiment in overt, honest bias‚ the broadcast equivalent of its owner Rupert Murdoch's flagship right-wing tabloid newspaper, the New York Post. It has stripped a whole layer of artifice from TV news. What almost ruins everything is the network's comically dishonest insistence that it is not what it obviously is. I would love to know what Hume is thinking when he repeats with apparent sincerity the Fox News mantra, "Fair and balanced as always." Fox is usually fair but rarely balanced. In fact it is a good example of how you can be the one without the other."

Peter