The Crimes of Empire?

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Sep 6 12:15:16 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kendall Clark" <kendall at monkeyfist.com>

> > Chomsky has never said anything of the sort.
>
> Perhaps not, but he's said things which are close to that.
>
> For example,
>
> Corporations come from the same intellectual roots as the other
> forms of modern totalitarianism, namely, Stalinism and fascism.
> Corporations have no more legitimacy than any other kind of
> totalitarian regime.

Corps. have their origins in military hierarchies and in many cases the charters were given to ex-military officers in the 17th and 18th centuries. See Geoffrey Hodgson's "Economics and Evolution" and Maxine Berg's "The Age of Manufactures" for some refs. My former employer was started by a Viet Nam flyboy [napalm Freddie as my co-workers called him] who got his 'seed' capital as a reward from his folks for busting Greyhound's Union. Went to Yale as I recall..........

Ian