The Crimes of Empire?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 6 12:50:07 PDT 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> [...]

Chomsky's "forms of modern totalitarianism" points to my point of departure. Fascism, precisely, was _A_ form of authoritarianism: and there will be other forms, and a focus on fascism (a dead form) disarms us in the face of whatever form authoritarianism takes _next_ in world.

Someone suggested I must be joking in referring to capitalist democracy. Of course there is such a thing as capitalist democracy -- mostly won and maintained by working-class struggle, but that is another topic. It is idiotic to deny the freedoms we enjoy -- partly because only through studying those freedomes is it possible to see how much freedom we _don't_ have, how repressive even the "softest" capitalist rule is.

I think Chomsky is in error in using the word "totalitarianism." It's a term that obscures more than it illuminates. And I think it is unuseful to place "Stalinism" and fascism in the same genre. Chomsky's "anarchist" tendencies (and his misunderstanding of Luxemburg) do show through often. His work is still invaluable for understanding the world we live in.

A final minor comment, "Corporations come from the same intellectual roots." This is meaningless. Corporations were a historical development, in which (more obviously than in many historical developments) the "intellectual roots" did not began to grow until the whole damn tree was there already. They had no intellectual roots.

Carrol