The Crimes of Empire?

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Sep 6 12:38:05 PDT 2002

. . . In fact, Arab states (along with the Palestine Liberation Organization) have repeatedly done so since January 1976, when they joined the rest of the world in backing a U.N. Security Council resolution calling for a political settlement based on Israeli withdrawal from the occupied territories with "appropriate arrangements ... to guarantee ... the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and political independence of all states in the area and their right to live in peace within secure and recognized borders"...

I had thought that the Arab states and the PLO made it clear back in 1976 that, in their eyes, Israel was not a "state". "States" have rights to live in peace within secure and recognized borders. "Zionist entities" do not.

Am I misremembering the history, or is Chomsky lying to us? Brad DeLong

Support for a resolution that names the State of Israel (which I presume the above mentioned does) at least indicates a willingness to recognize the Jewish state. It could be in bad faith, but I see no further obligation on the part of Israel's enemies absent formal agreements between the disputing parties. Why concede something before getting anything in return? That seems tantamount to saying, Israel agrees the territories don't belong to it, therefore they are obliged to just give them up with no commitments from the other side.

We're in a similar dilemma with Iraq. Saddam is being urged to accede to UN resolutions at the same time the U.S. pointedly asserts its unwillingness to be constrained by UN policy. Saddam's unwholesome qualities aside, who in his right mind would agree to play in a game like that?

mbs