Dangerous Smangerous

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Fri Sep 6 13:52:24 PDT 2002

sorry, but the "wonk" research answer is that women go for dangerous men because we fall most deeply in love when we feel just slightly threatened--when we experience anxiety--when we're never quite sure if they're going to stick by us, if they don't always show up, etc. similarly, men fall in love best when women keep them guessing. Hence, The Rules phenom. blah blah blah.

at a less extreme level, the feeling of closeness and intimacy some of us want and associate with falling in love is all about experiencing the anxiety of sharing a part of ourselves that we are afraid to share. When we do it with a person we're attracted to, we're full of all kinds of anxiety. we sit there wondering if you'll still be accepted. When you are, a rush of relief most of the time, and a sense of extreme closeness and emotional intimacy. If that's followed by a little more self-doubt, enough to cause a little tension, pearls over pumps.

i posted an excerpt about this in the past i believe.

kelley