Letter to NYT on Todd Gitlin's recent editorial page piece

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 6 19:08:15 PDT 2002

I was responding to a NYT editorial page piece that Gitlin wrote on his assessment of 1 yr. after 911, in which he rehashes his now tired line about the 'far left' , i.e. opponents of the bombing campaign in Afghanistan, for lacking sympathy for the thousands of victims that died on that day. It is sad to see that even a year later this tactic is resorted to. BTW, the "Rosa Clark" I refer to should have been "Rosa Parks". Since the chance the letter will be printed is infinitessmal, I sent it out right after I sent it off to a number of lists after I emailed it to the NYT. Feel free to circulate it to any lists if you have the urge.

Steve