Letter to NYT on Todd Gitlin's

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 19:43:52 PDT 2002

>>recent editorial page piece
FWIW, I put in my own two cents on this, including exchanges with our friend Leo Casey. http://maxspeak.org/gm/archives/00000448.html mbs<<

Now that is deflation. I used to value those thoughts at a nickle, but I wasn't sure what the combination would get me in this stagflationary economy. ANYWAY, the best response I found at maxsqueak.org was:

Posted by Andrew Hagen @ 09/05/2002 07:33 PM EST

If the Democratic political establishment had any position on any of these wars, then the Chomskyites would not be in a position to lead the opposition. Gitlin is too orthodox to see how the Democrats recused themselves from this political discussion. Maybe some of the lefties blamed SUVs and McDonalds for Sept 11. It's not the only argument but it was the easiest to caricature.

American consumer habits cannot be the focus of anti-war, but that's not something the Republicans will help us sort out. The historical fact is that Clinton was just as hot on regime change as Bush is, and the Democratic press and political establishment committed themselves entirely to that outcome back in 1998. Human Rights Watch committed themselves back in 1988. They are all on record -- as an opposition they are useless and that's why we are with the Chomskyites who are at least consistent.

I might add it was the committment in 1998 by which Sens. Biden and Lieberman helped set up the conditions in the defense and intelligence establishment that allowed 9/11 to happen in the first place.

CJ