that's class warfare, baby

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Sat Sep 7 04:03:32 PDT 2002

The unionization of doctors has been one of the more interesting trends that I've tried to follow lately. According to most reports I've read, doctors say they are unionizing not because of conflicts with management at hospital or clinics, but because of pressure from private insurance plans to cut costs at the expense of their better judgment. A doctors' union in the area I am in (Dallas), which is affilaited with the AFL-CIO and the local Central Labor Council, has routinely been the largest political donor to Democrats of many area organizations.

Also, in an article I wrote recently for the Industrial Worker, I provided a report on the "Wall Street to Washington" conference of the healthcare industry. At this shindig for industry shills,Merrill Lynch representative Roberta Walters Goodman said that even with health care costs skyrocketing as they are, "I do think people have been shielded from understanding the cost for far too long." The future didn't look very bright.

Brian Oliver Sheppard

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, pms wrote:

> Small Employers Severely Reduce Health Benefits
> By MILT FREUDENHEIM
>

> athy Steever, office manager of her family's automobile repair shop in Sioux
> Falls, S.D., is expecting a baby in December. Her father, who also works at
> the shop, learned last year that he has cancer.
>
> Even so, their company, called Pro Tune Up, canceled health coverage for all
> five employees last spring. Ms. Steever said premiums jumped by two-thirds,
> to $2,000 a month, from $1,200 in 2001, just when demand for the shop's
> services was slowing in a faltering economy.

> The cancellation of benefits at Pro Tune Up added seven adults, including
> two spouses, and four children to the estimated 40 million Americans without
> health insurance. Cutbacks at other small businesses squeezed between rising
> premiums and the sluggish economy are likely to add to that number.
>
> Although most large employers still offer health benefits, fewer small
> companies are providing coverage. Forty-five percent of employers with three
> to nine workers now offer no health benefits, up three percentage points
> from 2001, the Kaiser Family Foundation said yesterday in its annual report
> on employer-based insurance.
>
> That translates into almost 150,000 more workers and dependents without
> insurance.
>
> "There has been a significant decrease in the number of small firms offering
> coverage," said Drew Altman, president of the Kaiser Foundation, adding that
> the surge in costs would make health care problems more difficult for policy
> makers in Washington and the state capitals.
>
> Health insurance premiums across the country soared by 12.7 percent, almost
> eight times the 1.6 percent overall inflation rate, in the 12 months ended
> this spring, the Kaiser report said.
>
> It was the largest one-year increase since 1990. Jon Gabel, who directed the
> Kaiser study, said all signs pointed to even higher premiums next year and
> beyond as costs for medical care and prescription drugs continue rising.
>
> Small businesses had even higher premium increases: exceeding 14 percent for
> employers with fewer than 50 workers. That has led many small-business
> owners to abandon coverage, sometimes even for themselves and their family
> members. "Dad is just taking a chance that he's getting a clean bill of
> health on his cancer," said Ms. Steever, whose brother owns Pro Tune Up.
>
> Michael Wiston, president of the Valley Marble Slate Corporation, which
> makes kitchen countertops in New Milford, Conn., said premiums for his seven
> employees had doubled since 2000, to a total of $39,600, while the services
> covered had been reduced.
>
> "I have a liver problem," he said. "In another year, I'll be on a list for a
> transplant. What worries us is: What do they cover, and what don't they
> cover?"
>
> Workers are paying more of the costs, as higher premiums, deductibles and
> [...]

-- ---

"And Mr. Block thinks he may / Be President some day." - Joe Hill, "Mr. Block"