a critique of the march on Sandton/Peoples' Strike

Marc Rodrigues cuito61 at onebox.com
Sat Sep 7 18:15:11 PDT 2002

(Thought I would throw this out there in light of the recent discussions.

Especially would like to see comments on this from Chuck0 and people who explicitly oppose his views on protests/tactics.)

The Washington DC Anti-Capitalsit Convergence (www.abolishthebank.org) has been organizing for "The Peoples' Strike" for quite some time now.

They have produced a lot of intelligent and well-thought-out background information and reasons as to wh they will be protesting the WB and the IMF come the end of the month, and they appear to be highly organized.

But I have some fundamental problems with the Peoples' Strike:

The nature of the type of actions being proposed (which I have heard explained in detail and which would be better left off the internet) basically limits participation in the September 27 protest against the WB and IMF to what I call "professional activists:" people who are well-experienced with this type of large summit protest (experience with direct action, familiarity with and belonging to the culture of "affinity groups," activist jargon and techniques) and who have no problem being arrested and staying in jail for an undefined amount of time.

In recent days the subject of "summit-hopping" type activism and the entire nature of the "anti-globalization movement" (in North America) and its status as basically a movement of white priveleged youth who have the resources to go to Seattle, to go to Quebec, but who often times ignore injustice such as police brutality right in their backyards has come up, and I think it's a necessary discussion.

Thoughts?

--*-- Marc Rodrigues Voicemail: 866.206.9067 x4217 Students for a Free Society: http://qcsfs.tripod.com

"I cock back tha sling to stone a settler And breaks him off clean, call me the upsetter" -Zack de la Rocha