a critique of the march on Sandton/Peoples' Strike

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 7 19:16:52 PDT 2002

Marc Rodrigues wrote:

> to what I call "professional activists:" people who are well-experienced
> with this type of large summit protest (experience with direct action,
> familiarity with and belonging to the culture of "affinity groups," activist
> jargon and techniques) and who have no problem being arrested and staying
> in jail for an undefined amount of time.

Most of the important action around mass protests is what precedes and follows the protests in the communities from which the protesters come. What you describe has no particular relationship to political activity of any kind, reformist or revolutionary. It is in fact essentially anti-political.

Carrol