a critique of the march on Sandton/Peoples' Strike

jbrown72073 at cs.com jbrown72073 at cs.com
Sun Sep 8 13:14:33 PDT 2002

Marc  Rodrigues wrote:

>...The nature of the type of actions being proposed (which I have heard
>explained in detail and which would be better left off the internet)
>basically limits participation in the September 27 protest against the
>WB and IMF to what I call "professional activists:" people who are well->experienced
>with this type of large summit protest (experience with direct action,
>familiarity with and belonging to the culture of "affinity groups," >activist
>jargon and techniques) and who have no problem being arrested and staying
>in jail for an undefined amount of time.

>In recent days the subject of "summit-hopping" type activism and the
>entire nature of the "anti-globalization movement" (in North America)
>and its status as basically a movement of white priveleged youth who
>have the resources to go to Seattle, to go to Quebec, but who often times
>ignore injustice such as police brutality right in their backyards has
>come up, and I think it's a necessary discussion.

>Thoughts?

Well, that's not a new discussion, is it?  I think of the widely-circulated article 'Up against the Manarchy,' which purported to be a feminist analysis of how the emphasis on macho demos excludes women, the disabled, those with immigration problems, etc. etc. and posited that the *real* work (all of it, apparently) involved community organizing, etc.

I don't have any problem with people planning something not everyone can do.  If people are brave and commmitted enough to take actions that may land them in jail, and which cause consternation and confusion to our common enemies, more power to them.  Sure it's easier when you're not (a) black (b) old (c) a parent (d) employed at a job you have to keep.  This doesn't mean they're 'excluding' those who judge that they can't take a hit right now--the cops are the ones who are driving people away from demos by beating people up, spraying them with poison, and arresting them for largely peaceful blockades.

I can't go this time due to other political commitments (fun tho it was to get whacked on by cops at A16) but these folks should know they're in there for me, representing my interests, and a whole lotta other people's too. Why the hell should they be subjected to this persistent guilt tripping that they're being 'exclusive.' As long as they don't believe these actions are the only real movement, I say, happy planning, go get 'em.

Jenny Brown