Gulf War Syndrome stats withheld

Yoshie Furuhashi yoshie_furuhashi at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 10:41:56 PDT 2002

--- jbrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
> Roughly 110,000 Gulf War vets are registered with
> the VA and DoD for Gulf War illness--the gov't
> admits 窶和bout
25,000窶・are sick. I haven't seen
> a peep about this from the left.

Then, you haven't watched _Hidden Wars of Desert Storm_ (Dir. Gerard Ungerman and Audrey Brohy), an excellent left-wing documentary:

***** 300 tons of U-238 were spread all over Kuwait and Southern Iraq during the Persian Gulf War and, according to a US Department of Defense survey, more than 436,000 US troops alone have entered contaminated battlefields without any warning whatsoever, for fear certainly from the Pentagon of triggering outrage and panic.

Today, almost a third of the 700,000 US military personnel who served in the Gulf have filed for disability and 10,000 already have died. Of course, all these cases can not be solely attributed to exposure to radioactive dust just like every single case of cancer and leukemia out of tens of thousands afflicting now the populations of Southern Iraq can not be attributed solely to exposure to low-level radiation. But in the face of such a monstrous risk factor, the odds are unfortunately frighteningly high.

"Hidden Wars" looks at both the sick US veterans' condition and at the health crisis situation in Southern Iraq. Many interviews of scientists, doctors and veterans brush a bleak picture in either case and explains the nature of the incriminated shells and the objective risk factor they represent to both the living and the environment.

<http://www.hiddenwars.com/> *****

A number of activists and scholars on the left have made connections among Iraqi, US, and other victims of toxic warfare in the Gulf War and other wars. (Cf. _Killing Our Own: The Disaster of America's Experience with Atomic Radiation_, <http://www.ratical.org/radiation/KillingOurOwn/>.)

Yoshie

__________________________________________________ Yahoo! - We Remember 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute