How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 9 15:45:17 PDT 2002

At 06:18 PM 9/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>At 04:39 PM 9/9/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>>R wrote:
>>
>>>THE US and Britain sold Saddam Hussein the technology and materials Iraq
>>>needed to develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons of mass destruction.
>>
>>I don't get this argument. If the U.S. and UK sold weapons to Iraq, and
>>if Iraq really is a danger to the world (not a position I'm taking except
>>for the purposes of this argument), then the U.S. and UK bear special
>>responsibility for reversing the error. The same goes with the creation
>>of the Taliban and al Qaeda as an unintended consequence of the fight
>>against the USSR.
>

>That demurer is one possible interpretation of the story. Another
>possible argument: Washington did not give a shit about Iraqi weapons
>program then, so why should we believe it does now?

i think this is exactly the point. the hypocrisy. any old excuse will do for a first strike on a third world country, sitting on lots of oil, with a decimated military and a civilian population that's been living under an embargo since the last gulf fiasco.

there is always more than one reason for what the "power elite" do, as this email points out very nicely. also, don't forget the failed attempt to get saddam in 1997 (i believe it was). he "castro-ed" them.

this entire issue has degenerated into a pissing contest between shrub and saddam. with all kinds of collateral benefits for keeping the US public's mind off other things.