On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 10 08:33:28 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Would a leftist have the opportunity to behave that way. Moyers/Donahue
>only get a hearing because they behave respectably. TV, unfortunately,
>is a corporate medium.

Yes, up to a point you're right. But it's also a problem with left culture that people are often afraid to be nasty or funny - and they have no sense of the emotional potency of hate. You see proclamations that such-and-such is a "hate-free zone." Yeah, right, that's the way to deal with hate - just declare it off limits. Hate isn't going to go away - we just need better targets.

Doug