On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 10 11:24:55 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>At 11:33 AM 9/10/2002 -0400, doug wrote:
>>Michael Perelman wrote:
>>
>>Yes, up to a point you're right. But it's also a problem with left
>>culture that people are often afraid to be nasty or funny - and
>>they have no sense of the emotional potency of hate. You see
>>proclamations that such-and-such is a "hate-free zone." Yeah,
>>right, that's the way to deal with hate - just declare it off
>>limits. Hate isn't going to go away - we just need better targets.
>

>Agreed. But as soon as a leftist show directs hate at the right
>target, its televised existence is doomed. Michael Moore's TV
>Nation is a case in point.

Yup, you're right about big TV. But I'm also thinking about "left" media, whose dullness emerges from deep within the political culture.

Years ago, at an URPE summer camp, Alex Cockburn picked up a copy of Against the Current bearing the headline "Stop The Killings!" (Can't remember which killings these were - and ATC liked the headline so much, they used it again recently.) AC said - "This embodies everything that's wrong with left journalism. Can't we have a few of our killings?"

Doug