On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows

Cian co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 12:18:40 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski said:

> Add to it the fundraising potential of the show. Public stations heavily
> depend on individual donations linked to particular shows (which are often
> matched by corporate sponsors) and those who can put a $120 donation on
> their Master Card tend to be suburbanites who vote republican, salivate on
> the thought of tax cut, and do not want any public transit and people of
> color in their neighborhoods. So if a show aint too popular among these
> folks, it becomes a financial liability to the station. You don't need a
> corporate conspiracy do kill a show, free market and populist democracy
> will do the trick more efficiently.

There's a show in the UK presented by Mark Thomas, who's kind of a smarter, more focused and funnier Michael Moore. Tackles various issues that are apparently too boring for TV, with wit and verve. Its a pretty popular show among the well off 20 something age group that apparently advertisers salivate over. When I worked at an investment bank, I was amazed by the number of my colleagues watched it. By most criteria, it's a remarkably successful show.

However despite this, it got virtually no advertising. If it wasn't for the fact that Channel 4 has a public service remit, it would never have survived. If you have a totally commercial TV service, then large advertisers dictate what is, and isn't, permissible discourse.