On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 10 10:31:19 PDT 2002

At 10:00 AM 9/10/2002 -0700, Chuck wrote:

>If Moyer's is off the air, it isn't because he was boring. I just
>don't buy it. Some rightwing jerk-off somewhere in government, got to
>PBS management and had him pulled. It was either that or the
>combination of poor ratings, slightly liberal reporting and complaints
>from corporate sponsors together with political pressure. Gotta be.

Add to it the fundraising potential of the show. Public stations heavily depend on individual donations linked to particular shows (which are often matched by corporate sponsors) and those who can put a $120 donation on their Master Card tend to be suburbanites who vote republican, salivate on the thought of tax cut, and do not want any public transit and people of color in their neighborhoods. So if a show aint too popular among these folks, it becomes a financial liability to the station. You don't need a corporate conspiracy do kill a show, free market and populist democracy will do the trick more efficiently.

wojtek