On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Sep 10 15:29:27 PDT 2002

At 05:33 PM 9/10/2002 -0400, doug wrote:
>Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>The left will be politically meaningless in this country as long as it
>>does not have a mainstream institutional representation.
>
>I don't get it. You say the U.S. working class is greedy, bigoted,
>pampered, and stupid. So what will the social base of this institutional
>representation be?

That is the million dollar question, Doug. How to build a just society prior to changing people's consciousness, and how to change people's consciousness prior to building a just society? Seems impossible if you want to do it the "American way" - quickly and with a fanfare, such as winning the presidential election. But when you take a step by step approach, things may turn out differently.

Imagine, if you will, a group of progressive activists getting together with progressive organizations and progressive funding sources to form a social-democratic party. BY that I do not mean an outfit staffed and run by special interest weirdos, but a conventional European style social-democrats that have an appeal to a Joe Schmoe.

The first goal is to come up with a good name such an entity, say Social Democratic party. Funny nondescript names such as People's Party, will not do, because they beg a question what is a non-people's party? An Animal party? Outer Space Alien party? Names conveying special interest, such as the Green party or Labor party are also no good, because they may prejudice those who do not share a particular ideology or class identity. Social-democracy, otoh, is a name with a degree of neutrality (it transcends special interests) but denoting a general political standing.

The next step would be to establish its own political identity - e.g by running a mainstream daily (such as the Guardian) presenting left news and commentaries in a manner acceptable to a Joe Schmoe (as opposed to angry lesbians, frustrated intellectuals, or militant Blacks). The Nation and similar "muckracking journalism" formats do not qualify because of their bitchy, combative tenor and elitist appeal.

The next step is launching campaigns to place Social-democratic representatives in political offices. At first, in the localities where such candidates would have the greatest chance of being elected (such as the city council or the mayor of the "People's Republic of Cambridge," Berkeley, or maybe some union or environmental strongholds). Then the next step would be to capture some seats in state legislatures (maybe in Vermont. Minnesota, Oregon or California), and then some US congressional seats. Even with few congressional votes, the Social democratic party can play power politics in state legislatures and the Congress by aligning itself with political factions of demo-republicans on specific issues.

It seems that pulling resources for such an endeavour in the wealthiest country of the world should not pose a very serious problem, no? However, the key to its success is what in the old world was called the "organic work" - the work at the bottom without counting on immediate success and fanfare, but also without "going native" and embracing a local identity.

wojtek