Anniversary

Cian co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 12:23:26 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin said:

> Luke Weiger:
>
>> At least now you can acknowledge it... whereas the Chomskys of the world
>> still hold that the US gov't was prepared to inflict a "silent genocide"
>> upon Afghanistan.
>
> I think Noam and his followers have dropped this one, quietly but firmly,
> especially since the exact opposite happened. But it was, along with the
> Sudanese comparison made right after the attacks, one of Noam's clumsier
> moves.

It clearly wasn't genocide, as the US government wasn't deliberately and systematically trying to exterminate the afghans. That was a sloppy, stupid and sadly typical bit of rhetorical overkill by Chomsky.

However, neither did the US govnmt seem terribly bothered about whether Afghans died as a result of the invasion. They prevented aid going in (the little aid they sent in was little more than PR), they made no effort to limit the bombing of civilians and they didn't stop their allies from their various vengeances.