Anniversary

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 11 15:00:37 PDT 2002

> You think that isn't true? You think the U.S. government actually
> cares about the potential deaths of thousands or millions?

I think the leaders of democratic states (and those of a fair number of despotic ones, as well) care about the potential deaths of many thousands or millions of people. However, that concern can be easily overriden by the ends said leaders are pursuing. In the case of Afghanistan, banishing the Taliban and eradicating Al Qaida didn't necessitate killing untold numbers of civilians. Nor, I hasten to add, did such an outcome appear likely to the more sober analysts.