Anniversary

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 11 12:27:43 PDT 2002

Luke Weiger wrote:

>I think the leaders of democratic states (and those of a fair number of
>despotic ones, as well) care about the potential deaths of many thousands or
>millions of people. However, that concern can be easily overriden by the
>ends said leaders are pursuing. In the case of Afghanistan, banishing the
>Taliban and eradicating Al Qaida didn't necessitate killing untold numbers
>of civilians. Nor, I hasten to add, did such an outcome appear likely to
>the more sober analysts.

Sober = imperial apologists? Mass starvation didn't happen. But at the time it was reasonable to worry about it - and that's what aid workers on the ground were saying.

Yes, "untold numbers" of civilians died in Afg in the literal sense - we don't know how many, and if anyone does, they're not telling.

Doug