On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Sep 11 14:07:36 PDT 2002

>This is characteristic of political humor: it needs a defenseless
>victim. "Left" humor of the Eisenhower era had to go along with the
>major ideological tool of that administration: the pretense that
>Eisenhower was stupid. Hence the love of so many on this list of
>equating capitalist policy with stupidity. Whether or not Bush is
>personally not very bright is totally irrelevant. His administration is
>bright enough. The archetype of all humor based on Bush's alleged
>stupidity is the joke about "Bushonics" -- the real (whether intended or
>not) target of that being Ebonics: mockery of which in turn simply
>repeats the contempt of three or four thousand years for stupid
>peasants, etc.
>
>If someone can devise a left humor that does _not_ put down any
>individual person as stupid, incompetent, clumsy, fat, clumsy, blind,
>deaf, dumb, etc., he/she might have something. _Might_.
>
>Carrol

It is characteristic of far more than humor. Two days ago a Tom Paine article at http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/6329/view/print had the title BLIND, MUTE, DEAF AND DUMB

It found its way to mediatalk, a group which focuses on disaiblity in the media, and I noticed that today the title has been changed to "Just When We Need Them Most The Thinning Ranks Of American Reporters Around The Globe"

It is a drag to have to be reactionary -- as in having to constantly complain about the language used to caste institutions, people, you name it in a derogatory light by using disability metaphors. It is old, boring and we are sick of it.

Marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020911/4b3cceb6/attachment.htm>